Pork and Veggies Potjie
You'll have to search far and wide to find a Potjiekos with a wider variety of vegetables as this delicious Pork Potjie.
It's enough for 6 people and a size 3 Potjie is recommended.
- 1.5 kg Pork skenkel (shin), cut in pieces
- 250 g Bacon, cut in pieces
- 1 Large onion, sliced
- 1 Green pepper, cut in rings
- 1 Clove of garlic, chopped
- 6 Medium potatoes, cubed
- 4 Carrots, sliced
- 3 Celery sticks, sliced
- 2 "rape" (turnips) peeled and cubed
- 1 Leek sliced (only the white part)
- 500 ml Green beans, chopped
- 500 ml Cabbage, chopped
- 30 ml Olive oil
- 1 Can of tomato paste
- 100 ml Water
- 2.5 ml Finely mixed spices
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in the Pot
- Spice the meat with salt and pepper and brown the meat slightly
- Remove the meat and sauté the bacon, onion, green pepper and garlic for 15 minutes in the oil
- Replace the meat
- Mix the tomato paste with the water and pour over the meat
- Cover with the lid and allow the pot to simmer for 30 minutes
- Layer the veggies as they appear in the recipe and sprinkle the mixed spice over the meat
- Cover with the lid and allow the pot to simmer for a final 1 hour or until the veggies are soft.
Back to the Potjiekos recipes!!