- 5 chicken thighs, halved
- 500 g pork, cubed
- 60 ml cooking oil
- 3 red sweet peppers (seeded and cut in strips) or a 400g tin pimento
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 liter boiling water
- 5 ml saffron
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 1 kg kingklip fillets, cut in strips
- 400 g frozen prawns
- 500 g uncooked rice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 250 g frozen green peas
- juice of 1 lemon
- Heat the oil in the pot.
- Lightly brown the pepper, onion, pork and chicken.
- Cover and simmer slowly for an hour or until the meat is nearly done.
- Add the saffron, bay leaves and chicken stock cubes to the boiling water and set aside.
- Place the fish and prawns on top of the meat, followed by the rice and peas.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the saffron water little by little as the rice boils dry. Simmer the Potjie gently until the rice and peas are done and all the liquid has nearly boiled away.
- Paella should be loose and the rice should not be soggy.
- Add the lemon juice just before serving and
Back to the Potjiekos recipes!!