Oxtail and Banana Potjie
This lovely Potjie is best when served with brown or white rice.
It's enough for 6 people and a size 3 Potjie Pot is recommended.
- 1 Large oxtail, cut into pieces
- 3 Medium onions, finely sliced
- 2 Ripe bananas, sliced
- 5 Medium carrots, cut into strips
- 12 Baby potatoes
- 250g Button mushrooms
- 1 Large tomato, sliced
- 5ml Chopped parsely
- 10 Whole uitjies
- 2 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 30ml Butter
- 0.5 Red chilli, finely chopped
- 5 Whole cloves (kruinaeltjies)
- 5ml Mixed herbs
- 2 Bay leaves
- 500ml Warm water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 62ml Brown vinegar
- 20ml Tomato sauce,
- 20ml Chutney
- 20ml Honey
- 10ml Medium curry powder
- Coat the Pot with the butter and heat.
- Braai the meat for about 15 minutes
- Add the onions, garlic, chilli, cloves, herbs, bay leaves, salt and pepper and braai for a further 15 minutes.(If the Pot gets too dry, add some warm water)
- Now add the 500ml warm water, cover with the lid and allow the Potjie to simmer for about 2 hours
- In the meantime, mix the ingredients of the sauce and put one side.
- After 2 hours, pack the bananas on top of the meat and layer the veggies as they appear in the recipe
- Sprinkle the parsley on top, and then layer the onions and allow the Potjie to simmer for 1 hour
- Add the sauce and allow to simmer for a further 30 minutes
Back to the Potjiekos recipes!!