Oxtail Potjie (2)
- 500g oxtails cut into 2 inches thick pieces
- 10 slices Bacon cut in 1 inch pieces
- ½ cup flour seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 litre beef stock
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 Bay leaf
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1 bouquet garni
- 6 large leeks, chopped coarsely
- 2 large onions, chopped coarsely
- 6 large carrots, chopped coarsely
- 20 button mushrooms
- 1 cup red wine
- ½ cup sherry
- ½ cup cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons crushed garlic
- Dry oxtails with paper towel.
- Put seasoned flour in a Ziplock bag, then add the Oxtail and shake to coat with flour.
- Heat butter and olive oil and sauté bacon pieces.
- Remove bacon and brown Oxtail in resulting fat, remove and drain.
- Finely dice 4 of the carrots. Coarsely chop the onions and the leeks.
- Add the finely diced carrots, leeks, onions and sauté until softened
- Add Oxtail, bacon, bouquet garni, bay leaf, peppercorns, garlic, tomato sauce, red wine, sherry.
- Bring slowly to a boil and cook slowly for 3 - 4 hours.
- 1 hour before serving cut the remaining carrots into 1 inch pieces, add them and mushrooms and continue cooking slowly.
- Just prior to serving, add cream and stir in.
- If you want to thicken the sauce mix some cornstarch with the cream before adding.
Back to the Potjiekos recipes!!