- 1.5 kg ostrich neck slices
- 30 ml cooking oil
- 4 leeks, sliced
- 2 fat cloves garlic, crushed
- 5 ml dried or 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 250 g brown mushrooms, sliced
- 30 ml boiled green peppercorns, bruised
- 75 ml brandy
- 50 ml dry sherry
- 375 ml dry red wine or 1/2 red wine 1/2 chicken stock
- 30 ml lemon juice
- 15 fresh pickling onions, peeled
- 10 small whole carrots
- 8 small, peeled potatoes or unpeeled new potatoes scrubbed clean
- 1 x 300 g packet creamed spinach and mushrooms, thawed. (Can be replaced with 250 g cooked, chopped and flavoured spinach mixed with 125 ml sour cream. Flavour the spinach with some of the folowing: bacon, ham, cheese, nutmeg and lemon juice)
- 15 ml cake flour
- a little milk
- pinch nutmeg
- salt to taste
- Heat the oil in the pot and brown the meat a little at a time.
- Remove and set aside.
- Fry the leeks, garlic, rosemary, mushrooms and peppercorns in the same pot.
- Return the meat to the pot.
- Heat the brandy slightly, pour over the meat, and ignite.
- Add the heated sherry, red wine and lemon juice once the flames have died down.
- Cover with the lid, reduce the heat and simmer for 2 1/2 hours or till the meat is almost tender.
- Layer the vegetables, except the spinach, on top of the meat, cover, and simmer for a further 45 to 50 minutes.
- Mix the spinach mixture with a paste of cake flour and milk and spoon carefully over the food in the pot.
- Season with nutmeg and salt, cover and simmer for a further 15 minutes.
Back to the Potjiekos recipes!!