Hot Mutton Curry
- 2 kg mutton chops
- salt and pepper to taste
- 45 ml cooking oil
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 250 g rindless breakfast bacon, chopped
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 250 ml uncooked rice
- 250 ml dried apricots, soaked in water for 1 hour and drained
- 250 ml water
- 1 tin (410 g) mealie kernels, drained
- 1 tin, (410 g) peas, drained
- 250 ml chutney
- 20 ml strong curry powder
- 5 ml turmeric
- 3 ml coriander
- 3 ml ground nutmeg
- Heat the oil in the pot.
- Season the meat with salt and pepper and in the open pot brown a few pieces at a time on both sides.
- Remove the meat and set aside.
- Fry the onions until tender.
- Return the meat to the pot with the onions.
- Arrange the bacon, potatoes, rice and apricots in layers on top of the meat.
- Add the water.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add more water if the Potjie boils dry.
- Add the mealies and peas.
- Mix the chutney, curry, turmeric, coriander and nutmeg well. Add the mixture to the Potjie.
- Cover and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes.
Serve with sliced banana, finely chopped onion and tomato and finely grated coconut.
Back to the Potjiekos recipes!!