This delicious Potjie is made with several parts of the sheep and is best served with yellow rice and raisins.
It's enough for 6-8 people and a size 3 Potjie is recommended.
- 2kg of mixed meat i.e skenkel (shin), neck and ribs
- 2 Medium-sized onions, diced
- 20 Baby potatoes, peeled
- 1kg frozen mixed vegetables
- 3 Medium sized sweet-potatoes, sliced
- 30ml Butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 500ml Warm water
- 2 Cubes of beef stock
- 10 ml Dried oreganum and rosemary
- 250ml Dry red wine
- 50ml Chutney
- 50ml Tomato sauce
- 50ml Worcester sauce
- 30ml Maizena (cornflour)
- 30ml Oxtail soup powder
- 25ml Soya sauce
- 15ml Bisto (gravy powder)
- 10ml Garlic flakes
- 0.6ml Fine 'kruinaeltjies' (cloves)
- 5 ml Grated lemon peel
- Coat the Potjie well with the butter and heat the Potjie until it is very hot
- Brown a few pieces of meat at a time and remove
- The meat has now braaied out it's own fat
- Brown the onions in the meat's fat until soft
- Return the meat to the pot and layer the potatoes and sweet potatoes on top of the meat
- Mix all the ingredients of the sauce and pour over the food in the Pot
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Finally, cover with the lid and allow to simmer for approximately 2.5 hours (add the mixed veggies after 1 hour).
Back to the Potjiekos recipes!!