This is another excellent Leg of Lamb Potjie.
It is enough for 6 people and a size 3 Pot is recommended.
- 2 kg Leg of lamb
- 250g Bacon, cubed
- 300g Baby carrots, peeled
- 8 Medium potatoes, peeled and halved
- 300g Brussell sprouts
- 15ml Ground Coriander
- 15ml Brown sugar
- 1 Bottle dry red wine
- 30ml Butter
- 3ml Dried rosemary
- 250ml Sour cream
- 150g Dried peaches
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 15ml Apricot jam
- 15 ml Cake flour
- Trim all the fat off the leg.
- Make small cuts in the leg with a knife and stretch these cuts by pushing a finger in each cut
- Fill each cut with the cubed bacon
- Rub the leg well with the coriander and the brown sugar
- Marinade the leg in the wine overnight
- Melt the butter in the Potjie while the fire is still burning and brown the leg slightly on all sides
- Add the rosemary and 50ml of the wine marinade
- Cover with the lid and allow the Pot to simmer for at least 1.5 hours or until the leg is half done
- Ensure that the coals are not too hot and turn the leg regularly adding some more wine marinade and not more than half of the sour cream
- Add the dried fruit, cover with the lid and allow the Potjie to simmer for 30 minutes
- Layer the veggies as they appear in the recipe and season with the salt and pepper
- Add the remaining sour cream, cover with the lid and allow the Potjie to simmer for a further hour
- When the leg is done, add the jam, cover with the lid and wait until the jam has melted
The Potjie is now ready to be served.
Remove the leg and carve it in slices
Add the flour to the sauce and stir until ready
Back to the Potjiekos recipes!!