Dambie - Dumplings in a Potjie
Dambie ( the Tswana name for "dumplings")
If you can make dumplings with stew, why not with Potjiekos?
sample this true African cuisine.
To cover a saucy meat stew or Potjiekos:
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 tsp instant dry yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- Sift the dry ingredients together into a deep bowl.
- Add the egg and lukewarm water and mix well for about 5 minutes, till it forms a very soft , sticky dough, rather approaching a thick batter.
- Alternatively you can whip it up using a food processor.
- Let dough rise for 2 hours covered.
- Scoop the frothy, soft dough onto the stew and quickly stroke it to spread evenly on top.
- Shut the lid and do not lift till ready, about 30 minutes, or else it may implode into a chewy mess.
- Then insert a skewer into the dumpling, if it comes out clean it is cooked.
Back to the Potjiekos recipes!!