Chicken and Yoghurt Potjie
This uniquely flavoured Potjie is a favourite and already won the Northern Transvaal Potjiekos Competition.
The lemon peel gives and extra bit of flavour to the food. The Potjie can be served with baked potatoes or on a bed of rice as the pot has a lovely sauce.
It's enough for 6 to 8 people and a size 3 Potjie is recommended.
- 2kg Chicken pieces
- 2 Green peppers, cut length-wise
- 300g Carrots, peeled and sliced
- 6 Large potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 100g Dried apricots
- 200g Green beans, cut into pieces
- 150g Mushrooms, sliced
- Salt to taste
- 1 Packet of mushroom soup
- 500ml Yoghurt
- 500ml Dry white wine
- 10ml Dried thyme
- 10ml Grated lemon peel
- 1 Large onion, finely chopped
- 5ml Ground black pepper
- 3 Bay leaves
- 5ml Dried 'dragon'
- Mix all the ingredients of the marinade, pour over the chicken and allow to marinade for 6 to 8 hours
- Heat the pot until very warm and braai the chicken, a few pieces at a time, along with the green pepper until golden brown
- Layer the carrots, potatoes, apricots, beans and mushrooms above the meat
- Sprinkle the salt over and pour in the marinade
- Cover with the lid and allow the pot to simmer for approximately 2 hours
- If, after this, there is still too much liquid in the pot, mix the soup powder in the sauce and allow the Potjie to simmer for a further 15 minutes
Back to the Potjiekos recipes!!