Beef and Veggies Potjie
In this lovely Potjie extra salt is not needed as the soya sauce contains enough salt.
As substitute for the sherry you may also use Port.
It's enough for 6 people and a size 3 Potjie Pot is recommended.
- 1 kg Stewing beef, cubed
- 1 Beef kidney, cubed
- 2 Medium onions, sliced
- 125 ml Dried apricots, soaked in water for 1 hour
- 4 Carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 Sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 4 Medium potatoes, peeled and halved
- 6 Baby marrow, sliced
- 250 ml Cabbage, chopped
- 1 Tomato, peeled and sliced
- 30 ml Dried parsley
- 30 ml Cooking oil
- Black pepper to taste
- 125 ml Sweet sherry
- 125 ml Soya sauce
- 5 ml Black pepper
- 3 ml Dry mustard
- 1 ml Dry rosemary
- 1 ml Dry thyme
- 1 Cube beef stock
- 500 ml Boiling water
- Heat the oil in the Pot and brown the meat and kidney till almost brown
- Add the onions and brown together
- Mix the ingredients of the sauce and add it to the Pot
- Stir well, cover with the lid and simmer for 1.5 hours
- Layer the dried fruit and then the veggies as they appear in the recipe
- Sprinkle some pepper over the tomatoes
- Cover with the lid and allow the Potjie to simmer for about 2 hours or until the veggies are done
Back to the Potjiekos recipes!!