Beef and Beer Potjie
- 1 kg beef fillet, cubed
- 15 ml cake flour
- 5 ml paprika
- 15 ml butter
- 15 ml cooking oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 15 ml white sugar
- 8 green beans, sliced
- 4 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 5 ml mixed dried herbs or marjoram
- 375 ml beer
- 250 ml beef stock
- 1 packet tomato soup powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 15 ml vinegar
- 10 ml cornflour
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the paprika and flour and place in a plastic bag.
- Add the meat cubes and shake well to coat the meat.
- Melt the butter and oil in the pot and brown the meat over medium hot coals.
- Remove and set aside.
- Fry the onions and sugar, stirring now and then until the onions are tender.
- Add the beans, carrots and garlic and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Return the meat to the pot and stir in the herbs, beer, stock, soup powder and bay leaf.
- Replace the lid and simmer till the meat is tender (45 minutes to 1 hour).
- Stir occasionally, using a wooden spoon.
- Mix the vinegar and cornflour and stir in.
- Simmer until the gravy has thickened and season with salt and pepper.
Back to the Potjiekos recipes!!