Here is a great recipe for Boerewors by Nico Botha from the far Outback of Australia.
Follow this recipe carefully and you will have mouthwatering boeries!!
I have been living here in Aussie for a few years now. Boerewors is a must for our family as we are addicted to our Heritage.
I would like to share this recipe with all of you and I am sure it will be a winner with a lot of Boertjies around the world!
Mince all the rump, mutton and "varkie" into a grade courser than your normal mince, only once.
Mince the bacon cubes.
- 5 kg rump (lekker cheap here in Far North Queensland)
- 5 kg mutton (lekker medium vet skaap)
- 5 kg Pork (no fat)
- 1.5 kg Bacon shanks (or any type of bacon) - cut and diced into cubes
Blend coriander, salt, cloves, and Bush spices to a fine spice mixture add Seasoned Black Pepper. Mix well.
- 100 ml salt (Sea salt)
- 75 ml of Coriander roasted in the oven.
- 5-8 ml of cloves
- 30 ml McCormick Bush Spices (This is an Aussie all purpose spice mix)
- 12 ml of nutmeg powder
- 35 ml of Seasoned Black pepper (fine)
- 625 ml of vintage Balsamic vinegar
- 2-3 tots of Klipdrift Brandy ! If available, or Napoleon Brandy (The Aussie equvalent to "Klippies"
Blend the "Boere Geheime" (top secret) into a pulp and add all the spices and wet stuff to the pulp. Mix well and rest the pulp for 20 minutes. If you love green onions, cut 5 of these onions into thin bits, add them to the meat and let it rest!
- 6x Sweet Over ripe Queensland Tomatoes "soet tamaties"!
- 4x Large Australian Brown onions.
- 4x Garlic cloves
This is optional !
Now, add the pulp to the meat, mix well and rest the mixture for 30 minutes.
Stick a patty in the pan, taste, smile, have a beer, crack a joke, tell a jagstorie or two, or a fishing story!
After all we live in Barramundi country up here!!
Your casings must be well soaked from the night before, wash them well.
Do not over stuff skins be gentle!!!
Unpack your bit of "Africana", your worsstopper from back home, en laat waai!!
This is a winner braai after braai !
OK Mates, now you have my life secret!!
This is a receipe that will bring tears to your eyes when you and your mates sit in the shed checking the Rugby on the kassie and having a "sluk" of a cold one with a Boerewors roll in the other hand!